Sunday 7 February 2016

Book Review: A Monster Calls By Patrick Ness

Hello Everybody,

Today I am going to experiment. I am going to try something new. I am going to write a book review for you.

Recently, I have just finished a book called 'A Monster Calls' by Patrick Ness. Originally, I didn't really feel like I would enjoy it. It was in my English class when I picked it up off the bookshelf, and looked at it. Someone then said to me:
"Oh Libby, I've read that book, it has a really sad ending,"
Great, I thought. I don't like books with a sad ending, I just feel miserable. But this book, I feel like the ending was touched on quite delicately. That's why I enjoyed it so much.

This book is about a young 13 year old boy called Conor. Conor's mum has cancer. Conor copes fine on his own, he does the cooking, washing, cleaning and he takes care of his mum. But much worse things are happening. He's getting bullied. Not only that, but one mysterious night, a monster comes calling by a yew tree, close by to his house. This monster gives Conor a choice. Conor can either tell him the truth, or be eaten alive. But what will Conor do when he is forced to live with his Grandma, his dad suddenly comes to visit him from America, the bullies are getting worse and his mum's life is on the brink of ending?

I like this book because it teaches you a message. Never feel as though you're invisible, never feel blinded by what's wrong and what's right. My favourite character is the monster because although he's stubborn and ugly, he has a kind heart, and can always sense the truth. I would rate this book a solid 9/10.



So there you have it, something a little different. I hope this inspires you to read the book, I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend giving it a read if you have the time! Thanks again for reading, have a lovely week!

Until Another Day,
Libby xx

No comments:

Post a Comment